Friday, January 2, 2009

More on the Altered Books project

Beginning any art project can be hard. Deciding what to do, getting past the fear and really committing yourself to the work, can all be daunting. Combine this with three other sisters and trying to communicate a basic sense of guidelines for everyone to work within, via posts to a family website and you've got our Altered Book Project.

To help my sisters out, as none of them have done an altered book before (and to be honest, I've only done a couple myself) I researched some websites for them. Don't worry, I'll share. This list is far from complete. In fact, I know there are so many out there, I almost don't even want to commit to just this list, but I will because the beginning is important. And by "beginning" I mean "starting". You have to start.

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
So I begin, as I always do, by looking at what others have done. Not to copy, but for inspiration.

www.alteredbookartists.com

www.altered-book.com
www.art-e-zine.co.uk/alteredbook.html

And best of all, a site called Recycled Words, by Will Washford.

There's more. There's so much more. But here's a start.

No comments: